Mac-N-Cheese with Duxelles Blend, Bacon and Shiitakes
Mac-N-Cheese with Duxelles Blend, Bacon and Shiitake Mushrooms
Creator: Michael | May 25,2019
- prep time:10 min
- cook time:30 min
- total time:40 min
- For the béchamel: white sauce
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter + 1 tsp. Reserved
- 4 oz bacon diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 rounded tsp. Oomph Cooking Blend Duxelles )
- 3 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 c. grated Pecorino Romano / Parmesan cheese
- For the béchamel: Heat the milk and use 1 Tbsp Oomph Duxelles Blend in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until it just comes to a simmer, then turn off the heat and set aside.
- Sauté bacon until lightly crispy, set aside to cool.
- In a large, saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk continuously until the mixture turns light brown in color, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- While whisking constantly, slowly add the hot milk mixture into the flour mixture until smooth.
- Return the saucepan to medium-high heat and while whisking constantly, cook until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 Tbsp. of the salt, taste, and add the remaining salt as desired. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until it's al dente, then drain and set aside.
- Bloom the remaining Oomph Duxelles, 1tsp of butter, 1tsp water in a sauté pan over medium low heat. Stir continuously until re-hydrated, about 30 sec. Add to béchamel.
- Place the reserved saucepan of béchamel over medium heat and stir in both cheeses just until melted and smooth.
- Add the pasta and bacon and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is heated through and steaming, about 2 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately, garnish with parsley ( optional)